a Jew and his blog

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Yes, another Wang Chung post!


Everybody Have Fun Tonight!
Originally uploaded by jerebo.
So I finally watched that Hit Me Baby One More Time show on NBC. For those not tuned into the zeitgeist, it's a new show in which has-been peformers sing one of their former hits followed by something from today's top 40. It has been "water cooler" conversation at work, so I rushed home on Thursday to watch it.

But I missed the first performance. Dammit!

I did get to see the first band tell the affable Scottish host that they would later be singing Nelly's "It's Getting Hot in Here." Later in the show I realized who I had missed.

Wang Chung!

Well, that's not entirely true. I missed them sing "Dance Hall Days", but watched them cover Nelly later on in the show. It was actually an interesting version. Quite amusing to see the song minus the bling.

The other perfomers that night were Howard Jones (another 80s fave of mine), Sophie B. Hawkins, and Irene Cara. It was Michael Ian Black's wet dream come true.

As great as it is to see bands and performers from my halcyon days sing their hits, I'm totally lost when they sing songs that today's kids enjoy. I've always been proud that I'm hyper-aware of pop culture in all of its shapes and sizes, but when it comes to the top 40 singles in America...

I feel very un-with-it.

That's probably a good thing, even though I should be aware of goings-on, since I am a screenwriter and must have my finger on that pulse. I don't know. I guess I'm a grown up now. If I was my age back in 1985, would I not be aware of Wang Chung and Howard Jones? I know people like to look back at 80s music with a mixture of irony and nostalgia, but I'd take "Everybody Wang Chung Tonight" over "Grind With Me" by Pretty Ricky any day. Will Gen-Yers reminisce about Pretty Ricky ten years from now when they're trying to pick up on girls with lower back tattoos at bars? I don't think so.

I just hope I get home in time next Thursday to catch the entire episode.

4 Comments:

Blogger C said...

A comment and a question:

a.) Have you heard of this magical invention called the VCR Timer? There's also a newer version called Tivo.

b.) Who the hell is Pretty Ricky?

3:21 PM

 
Blogger Hilary said...

Yeah, I'm with Charlie. Time to get TiVo.

4:02 PM

 
Blogger TheNeedyMother said...

What does it really mean to Wang Chung something? (or do I want to know?!)

2:20 PM

 
Blogger C said...

Where's your top 6 songs list, beeeeaaaccch?

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home