a Jew and his blog

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Reflections on San Francisco


Frank Chu
Originally uploaded by jerebo.
I meant to post this several days ago, but I've been lagging.

I went up to San Francisco last weekend to see M.I.A./LCD Soundsystem at the Fillmore and peeps in the city. A good time was had by all, and here are some random thoughts about the city I lived in for 2 years:

San Franciscans are much more impressed that I write screenplays than Angelenos.

The city seems more graffiti-laden.

Celebrity sighting in the Mission -- Phil Bronstein, with a very slender blonde. Only in San Francisco would this be considered a celebrity sighting. Anytime he, Dave Eggers, or Robin Williams is seen in public it make the SF Chronicle's lifestyle gossip section.

Everyone in SF loves Arrested Development, though who knows how many of them are even aware it's being brought back for another season?

Great bars. That I remember and miss. Three dollar pints, cheap strong mixed drinks.

Oh, Trax on Haight is a gay bar. Y Tu Mama Tambien playing on the TV should've given that away. Only when my friend arrived a half hour later did I say, "Dude, I think this is a gay bar." (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Molotov's on the Lower Haight seems to have no problem with patrons loading bowls, as long as they smoke outside.

I wish I hadn't eaten such a big breakfast on Sunday, so I could have had a Mission burrito.

Ran into Frank Chu, who is the Melrose Larry Green of San Francisco. It was the first time he didn't ask me for a donation.

Drinking and smoking grass during the day makes one too tired to stand up for a show at the Fillmore.

No delis in SF and although Saul's in Berkeley is good, it's no Brent's!

I do think San Francisco is a fantastic city, though I have come to appreicate L.A. in the last year or so. I would love to live in San Francisco, but unless I sell several screenplays and make a lot of money I don't see it happening. I have come to accept that reality.

1 Comments:

Blogger C said...

If it makes you feel any better, my Sunday Mission burrito gave me a nasty case of the green apple splatters. Consider yourself lucky.

2:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home